We have been blessed with 38 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren. They bring us great joy. They are happy, healthy, bright and good. We thank our 8 children and their great spouses for these wonderful young people.

Friday, October 30, 2009

Love My Book Club


As a young person I did not enjoy reading. I know I read some books as a kid and remember my mom reading us the Bobsey Twins series of books. High school reading was a disaster. College was a nightmare. As a nursing student all I ever did was read. As life continued I found time to read a book maybe once in a summer. As I have matured I have found that reading is quite enjoyable. I have always had one major problem when reading for enjoyment and that is that I just wanted to get done so I could go on to something else.

I also found myself reading only one type of book. I have been reading Grisham and Baldalchi and Patterson. Any type of mystery.I love a puzzle, so solving the mystery was great fun. I loved the lawyer books and the Camel Club, I loved that so many of them were in our wonderful northern Virginia. When an area or street was mentioned it brought back great memories.

I have just recently started to read different types of books. It started when I returned from our mission. I wanted to read about China, so picked up a book entitled Shanghai Girl. Loved it. Then was called to be the Enrichment leader in our ward and started having some mini classes. One was a book club. What a wonderful, fun , great experience. Talk about reading different types of books. I have loved every minute. I especially love the wonderful women that are a part of this group. Some of the books that I have recently read are The Road, The Long Walk, These is my Words and almost finished The Book Thief. Very different reads for me, but I have enjoyed my adventures and especially the different type of writing by each author. I am so impressed with people who are able to put word to paper with such brilliance. I look forward to my next adventures through the written word. One of the greatest part of this is the opportunity to sit with my sisters and discuss what we found in the books that we enjoyed. I also learned something about myself during this process. I usually just read the book without really thinking to much about the people or what I can learn from it. After the first months discussion I realized that I needed to concentrate more on what I was reading. This month is better.

Just so you know that I have not slipped completely away from what I should be doing. We also have a Scripture Study group that I have the opportunity to teach. We are studying the Book of Revelation. Thank you so much to Bruce R McConkie and Bro. Perry who have studied this book and written great commentaries. I also love my sisters who are sharing this experience with me.

3 comments:

Rinez said...

We are so blessed to have books in our lives and to be able to read and learn sooooo much about soooo many things.

Cooper Urmston said...

Its LESLIE. Read your comment on Jills blog. Give us a list of your favorites. I could use a good book.

Cetra AG said...

Ever think of reading New Moon in that book club haha.



http://www.TheUltimateTimeWaster.com
http://www.D9Robot.com
http://www.CetraAG.com